SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Club Racing->Showroom Stock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEligibility for Evo or STI?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinSweeney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eligibility for Evo or STI?
    Posted: March.16.2009 at 1:20pm
I'm considering a purchase of an EVO MR or STI.  Does anyone know if they are eligible for SS?
Kevin Sweeney
Sponsored Links

RichardM View Drop Down
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.17.2009 at 9:43am
So, will you be paying cash for the car? You can't race a car that you can't afford to throw away. You can Solo though.
Richard Miller
Rally Car 701
paulgauzens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulgauzens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.17.2009 at 11:55am

Kevin:

Glad to see you are interested in Club Racing.  Do not let naysayers dissuade you until you get the scoop from fellow Club Racers.

There is an online document at SCCA.com called the GCR which lists all the cars and what class they are in.   http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/09%20GCR/2009GCR. pdf

The Evo and STi are both in a class called Touring 2.  If you are married to the Evo/Sti idea - there is a Touring community on this forum. 

Many Touring drivers also hang out on SCCAForums.com and they could give you an idea of costs  http://sccaforums.com/forums/33/ShowForum.aspx.

In fact, there is a prepped Evo in their "For Sale" section http://sccaforums.com/forums/348279/ShowThread.aspx#348279.

I raced 5 years with 3 different cars and no wrecks.  Not saying everyone's experience is the same but stepping into competitive driving doesn't mean you must pay cash.

If you want to do SSB or SSC - they have those for sale, too.  Hope this helps and good luck whatever your choice.

Edited by paulgauzens
PaulG

KevinSweeney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinSweeney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.17.2009 at 12:24pm

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the detailed reply and links you provided.  That is great information and I'll certainly do my due diligence.  Buying a well-prepped and maintained car is very attractive.  I'm not married to the Evo/Sti and definitely open to other ideas.  I'll check out the classifieds first and go from there.

Best,

Kevin 

Kevin Sweeney
RichardM View Drop Down
Insane Poster
Insane Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.17.2009 at 12:27pm

Paul, Kevin,

Wheel to wheel racing means you have no collision insurance. (Well, you can get it but it is very, very expensive.) So if you do crash, you have to pay for it. I never wrecked when I was racing either but many others have.

I just looked at Kevin's profile and he is not by any means, the 25 year old guy who wants a cool car to drive fast like I first thought. So Paul's answer is correct on where the Evo and STi race.

Have fun Kevin.

Richard Miller
Rally Car 701
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic