SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Club Racing->Showroom Stock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRunoffs tow hooks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zneed4speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Runoffs tow hooks
    Posted: January.08.2008 at 11:53am

The pics in Sportcar showed several SS cars with folding tow hooks. Googled, searched Pegasus, and Truechoice.

Who sells them?

R L Mitchell
"Pobst Position" should be requisite reading to get a comp license
Sponsored Links

PaulG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January.08.2008 at 12:51pm
Don't have the quick answer - but if you're building or
refreshing an SS car you might consider the webbed soft tow straps.
They survive the inevitable "bumper-de-bumps" that come during the
season. The rigid ones don't always survive. Just my.02
Zneed4speed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zneed4speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January.08.2008 at 11:56pm

Thanks.

Though Improved Touring and not SS, the accidental "bumps" are why I like the folding hooks. My Scruts in the Southeast didn't like my 15,000 lb rated web loops ala Spec Miata and my web axle straps don't have the required 2" eyes.

I was told I could be penalized if the tow hooks/straps break!

Hope I never have to use them, but must make tech happy.

My General discussion cross post came up with Phoenix performance. While they don't have them on phoenixperformanceinc.com, I found some promising things on rennenmetal.com.

R L Mitchell
"Pobst Position" should be requisite reading to get a comp license
JTIPPENS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTIPPENS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.04.2008 at 1:30am
R L,

Contact Fall-Line Motorsports at 847-480-9804.

Those folding tow hooks come in colors, perhaps one to match your vehicle, but they aren't super cheap, either.

Tell 'em Jack T. sent ya!

Oh, they will bend if you hit concrete hard enough!
28Racer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.24.2008 at 9:28am
I have stock of some tow loops that were manufactured by Multimatic for the s/s Civics used in the "late" Honda/Michelin Challenge series. If interested, I can send photos of how they look on my SSB Civic. Not cheap, but tidy, strong and big enough for any tow hook you might ever encounter.
Thumper View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.24.2008 at 10:48am

From one of the end user's of tow hooks, after you've balled up your car, go with the hard ones, webbing breaks and puts us in Emergency Services at risk of being run over by a car that is 75% up a ramp truck, and if it ever happens again, "I will put a J-hook through the windshield and over the steering wheel" to get it off the track.

(not really but you see that I was pissed the last time!)

And you will have to prove to me that your 15,000 pound strap is not compromised by the heat and UV of racing in the southeast.

The best I can get is a 3" two ply 8 foot strap that is rated for 17,200 pounds in a basket configuration, www.use-enco.com pg 872. And YOURS??

Thumper, friend of all,
New England Region, Emergency Services Chief
DA ES Area 1
"Downright Trouble Maker" Just ask Blossom...
28Racer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.24.2008 at 9:42pm

This is what I have on my car - thru-bolted to the front bumper beam and thru the floor and backed up with a 3/16" plate at the rear:

NER@RIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NER@RIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.25.2008 at 8:01am
From a Scrut perspective, Thumper makes the most sense why you might have had some flak from the SEDiv.  Just get the hard loops, the guy above here has the right idea, just verify that that the hinge system is weight rated.  From an engineering perspective, the metal may be toleranced at 15000lb, but that says nothing for the member through that hinge...
NER@RIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NER@RIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.25.2008 at 8:02am
PS:  The loop pictured above looks wicked nice.  I've seen some sketchy at best jobbers and this is leaps and bounds above that...
Thumper View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.25.2008 at 10:48am

As MY father always said:

"A t'ing of beauty is a joy fo'evah"

Thanks 28Racer that is what we feel is the best of low vertical profile (looking down from above) and strength.

Have you thought of instead of a "T" or an arrow for it, to use a picture of a "Toe"???

Just having fun...

Edited by Thumper
Thumper, friend of all,
New England Region, Emergency Services Chief
DA ES Area 1
"Downright Trouble Maker" Just ask Blossom...
28Racer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 28Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.26.2008 at 7:30pm

These loops are from Multimatic (see http://www.multiinc.com/engineering/index.shtml and http://www.multimaticmotorsports.com/) and were suppied for the 2004-2005 Honda Civics used in the Canadian Honda/Michelin Challenge series (similar to IT level prep) that was canceled at the start of 2006. They use them on their Grand Am (Koni Challenge) Mustangs, so they should be sufficient to pull anything up to at least that weight.

NER@RIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NER@RIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.27.2008 at 9:07am
And as one can vouch, should and can are two totally different things...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic