SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Solo->Solo Site Acquisition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SO I get this email...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastford16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SO I get this email...
    Posted: December.10.2007 at 5:08pm

It says, basically, we can't help you if we don't know if you have a problem.

So here's a problem:

Well, I'm not anyone official, but Cal Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen Maryland, a fine site used by two and sometimes three regions (Susquehanna, WDCR & Philly) since 02 or earlier is either gone or under serious jeopardy.

Cal Ripken stadium should not be going away. The problem is political, the area is being developed. What was vacant space is soon to be condos & a shopping center. The stadium operators are happy to have us (and our money), but they don't own the lot and the city (who does own the lot) is claiming we've caused irrreparable damage, which is untrue. The only damage to the lot is from a vendor who drilled numerous holes for tent posts.

I say two/three regions because a chapter club of Susq has recently moved to WDCR, and it was the chapter club that held events at Ripken, not WDCR. Our chapter club is smaller and wishes to maintain it's distinct personality seperate from the big-daddy WDCR events at FedEx Field in Landover, MD.

Unless we find another site, we'll be 'forced' to move our events to FedEx, which is an hour and half away on a good day. We have participants and core club members who already drive 3+ hours to get to Aberdeen, that additional hour and half is painful.

Further, the FedEx field site is overwhelmingly popular with regular attendees over 250. Our club is used to events half that size. We're small and friendly and more novice-oriented, we welcome walk-up registration, and make ride-alongs readily available to our participants. The cold-hearted efficiency needed for that extra 125 drivers does not fit with the uber friendly nature of our club.

So there. We have a problem. What can the Site Acquisition (or Retention!) committee do to save Ripken?

-- Carrie Snyder, writing from my husband's account

Sponsored Links

GESchweikle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 7:32am

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the response. The SSAC email went out to approx. 14,000 members, and you are the first person to identify a solo site issue. We intend to reply to everyone who contacts us, and assist as well as we can. This is just the first note to let you know your problem has not "fallen into a black hole". Some quick questions:

Are you in Susquehanna Region? what chapter?

Have any of the other regions had a formal meeting with the city regarding the stadium?. You might consider establishing a single point of contact so the city officials don't get bombarded from more than one person. Also, it would be good for the Site committee to know who to contact in each region that uses the stadium. Can you identify who we should contact in each region?

Have you provided documents and photographs establishing that solo events don't damage the pavement?. Are they complaining about tire tracks over the parking space striping?

Have you tried to identify "Benefits" from the solo events at the stadium?. Additional business to local merchants from local and out of town entrants?. Are any of the regions users making any sort of charitable contributons?. Do you pay rental fee ?. Maybe you can find a "friend" in the city government, have you identified the councilman or representative for the district?

We hope to get a lot of responses to the mass email, and to use the information for everyone. Maybe another region has been confronted with a problem like yours and we can use their information for the Cal Ripken Stadium issue. Please pass this on to each region that uses the stadium, and request they contact us with names of who the site committee should be dealing with (will this be you?).

Thanks again for writing,

George Schweikle, Chairman Solo Site Acquisition Committee

Originally posted by fastford16 fastford16 wrote:

It says, basically, we can't help you if we don't know if you have a problem.

So here's a problem:

Well, I'm not anyone official, but Cal Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen Maryland, a fine site used by two and sometimes three regions (Susquehanna, WDCR & Philly) since 02 or earlier is either gone or under serious jeopardy.

Cal Ripken stadium should not be going away. The problem is political, the area is being developed. What was vacant space is soon to be condos & a shopping center. The stadium operators are happy to have us (and our money), but they don't own the lot and the city (who does own the lot) is claiming we've caused irrreparable damage, which is untrue. The only damage to the lot is from a vendor who drilled numerous holes for tent posts.

I say two/three regions because a chapter club of Susq has recently moved to WDCR, and it was the chapter club that held events at Ripken, not WDCR. Our chapter club is smaller and wishes to maintain it's distinct personality seperate from the big-daddy WDCR events at FedEx Field in Landover, MD.

Unless we find another site, we'll be 'forced' to move our events to FedEx, which is an hour and half away on a good day. We have participants and core club members who already drive 3+ hours to get to Aberdeen, that additional hour and half is painful.

Further, the FedEx field site is overwhelmingly popular with regular attendees over 250. Our club is used to events half that size. We're small and friendly and more novice-oriented, we welcome walk-up registration, and make ride-alongs readily available to our participants. The cold-hearted efficiency needed for that extra 125 drivers does not fit with the uber friendly nature of our club.

So there. We have a problem. What can the Site Acquisition (or Retention!) committee do to save Ripken?

-- Carrie Snyder, writing from my husband's account

EBowden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EBowden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 8:15am
I received this e-mail also and replied back to the person that sent it, Nancy.  Just to summarize, I'm a member of the Middle GA region and we have been looking for a new site for a couple of years now.  We have a member on the SSAC, Jamey Cicalese,  and the feedback that I have heard about National's involvement with helping our region find a new site has been pretty negative.  I hope that this is a step in the right direction for National to provide us the help we need.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 8:40am

EB,

Thanks for the reply. I anticipate getting your email from Nancy Downing. The site committee has always intended to assist any region, but maybe our communication of this could have been better. We anticipate the mass email will establish the "Demonstation of need" for assistance.

Regards, George Schweikle SSAC chairman

Originally posted by EBowden EBowden wrote:

I received this e-mail also and replied back to the person that sent it, Nancy.  Just to summarize, I'm a member of the Middle GA region and we have been looking for a new site for a couple of years now.  We have a member on the SSAC, Jamey Cicalese,  and the feedback that I have heard about National's involvement with helping our region find a new site has been pretty negative.  I hope that this is a step in the right direction for National to provide us the help we need.

jimgarry View Drop Down
Senior
Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 9:40am

Originally posted by EBowden EBowden wrote:

<snip> the feedback that I have heard about National's involvement with helping our region find a new site has been pretty negative.  I hope that this is a step in the right direction for National to provide us the help we need.

Just to make it clear, the SSAC is not "National".  It is a volunteer committee of autocrossers.  And the main thrust of the letter, as George pointed out above, is to ask other autocrossers to share successes and failures.  The shared information will help us all in our attempts to secure sites.

As much as it can. George has touched on some strategies already and the committee will work on more.  Bottom line is that the SSAC lends assistance in the form of strategies learned from other regions.  The what-to-do's and the what-not-to-do's.  That was the primary thrust of the letter. 

Finally, autocrossers pretty much just accept the idea that sites are hard to get and hard to keep and there's no help coming from anywhere.  If the SSAC can OFFICIALLY establish a pattern of problems, *perhaps* the BOD can be persuaded to make changes that will help us with these problems.

Jim 

Edited by jimgarry
Tripper Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tripper Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 10:06am

Here's the email I sent to Nancy:

Nancy:
I am in receipt of your email regarding solo site acquisitions for SCCA regions.  First, let me thank you for taking the time to prepare the email.  I am a long time member of the Middle Georgia Region #091 and I would like to share a few personal thoughts with you.

First and foremost I want to compliment the leadership of my region.  Our officers have done an outstanding job maintaining great monthly solo events despite very difficult obstacles.  Nancy, I think it is very important that you understand our history.  Being almost fifty years old and a native to Middle Georgia, I have seen the Middle Georgia Region prosper many years ago when we had excellent venues.  Excellent venues included a stadium site in Macon, Georgia referred to as Henderson Stadium owned by the Bibb County Board of Education, the Warner Robins High School parking lot site in Warner Robins, Georgia owned by the Houston County Board of Education, and the Ag Expo parking lot site in Perry, Georgia that is owned by the municipality of the City of Perry, Georgia.  All of these sites where large enough to safely hold events with well over 100 participants and could accomodate karts.  We are now holding events in a tiny little in-field parking area at the Watermelon Capitol Speedway in Cordele, Georgia some seventy miles away from all of our membership.  On a good day, we will have 35 participants and avearge 25 participants usually.  The speedway is a 3/8 mile paved oval with a concession stand and gas tanks located in the infield area.  That doesn't leave much room for an event and karts are out of the question.  We will never grow and we will never build additional enthusiasm for the SCCA as long as we accept our existing venue as the best we can do.

There is a lot of history over the years with our region.  Policies changed as it relates to our prior venues.  I am not aware of any reason where "we" caused a venue to be eliminated.  We have also had good and not so good elected officials and volunteers within our region over these years too.  Right now, I believe we have the best set of officers we have had in many years.  We have a great core group of members that participate every month.  We have a great inventory of volunteers.  These are the best resources a region could ever ask for.  "If" we had a reasonable venue, our region would grow tremendously.  Double?  Certainly.  Triple?  Without a doubt.  Grow tenfold?  Not out of the question.  We need a great venue and we need professional help getting that venue.

Nancy, last year I personally sponsored one of our members, Jamey Cicalese - now our RE, to attend the National Convention.  He is a great guy and a very willing volunteer.  He came back with a wealth of information and many great contacts within National.  He told me about the site acquisition committee.  A very interesting statistic he brought back was that our region has one of the lowest market penetration statistics in the country.  At first, we were all very upset to hear we had been called out for low membership numbers.  Then it was explained that we didn't have a club racing venue in our region and that was the reason, according to National, to not get upset about the numbers.  Whether we get upset or not is irrelevant but I want you and anyone else that will listen to know that we can easily be 3, 4, 5, or maybe even 10 times bigger than we are now with a satisfactory venue.  To me, if National has identified the Middle Georgia Region as low penetration market, then they should also feel that it has one of the biggest opportunities for improvement. 

I think it's great that National will share information about site acquisitions but that is simply not enough.  We need professional help.  I have but one question, would National under any circumstance embrace our region as a test case?  What I mean is, would National roll up their sleeves and prove to me, the Middle Georgia Region, and all the other regions that have lost total faith in National, that they will prove a better venue can be achieved?  We have done all we can do.  Can National do any better for us?

I thank you for being an involved member and I hope you can either respond to this message or forward it to someone who has the same passion for the SCCA that I do.  I look forward to your comments.

Thank you,

Tripper Cook
Middle Georgia Region

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 10:23am

Hi Tripper.

As you mentioned, Jamey Cicalese is now a member of the Solo Site Acquisition Committee, and there's no reason why Middle Georgia Region can not be a test case for site acquisition. A fine point is that the SSAC is not a part of the SCCA National Office, rather it is a committee of individual members that is supported by SCCA Inc. Several National office people participate in our conference calls.

The mass email was created by the SSAC after Nancy Downing pointed out the opportunity for such a large scale communication. The good news is we are getting immediate response from the letter. Our challenge will be to provide response and action for everyone who identifies a site problem. However, that's what we wanted so we now need to get to work. Please keep watching this forum, and thanks for writing.

George Schweikle, Chairman SSAC

Originally posted by Tripper Cook Tripper Cook wrote:

Here's the email I sent to Nancy:

Nancy:
I am in receipt of your email regarding solo site acquisitions for SCCA regions.  First, let me thank you for taking the time to prepare the email.  I am a long time member of the Middle Georgia Region #091 and I would like to share a few personal thoughts with you.

First and foremost I want to compliment the leadership of my region.  Our officers have done an outstanding job maintaining great monthly solo events despite very difficult obstacles.  Nancy, I think it is very important that you understand our history.  Being almost fifty years old and a native to Middle Georgia, I have seen the Middle Georgia Region prosper many years ago when we had excellent venues.  Excellent venues included a stadium site in Macon, Georgia referred to as Henderson Stadium owned by the Bibb County Board of Education, the Warner Robins High School parking lot site in Warner Robins, Georgia owned by the Houston County Board of Education, and the Ag Expo parking lot site in Perry, Georgia that is owned by the municipality of the City of Perry, Georgia.  All of these sites where large enough to safely hold events with well over 100 participants and could accomodate karts.  We are now holding events in a tiny little in-field parking area at the Watermelon Capitol Speedway in Cordele, Georgia some seventy miles away from all of our membership.  On a good day, we will have 35 participants and avearge 25 participants usually.  The speedway is a 3/8 mile paved oval with a concession stand and gas tanks located in the infield area.  That doesn't leave much room for an event and karts are out of the question.  We will never grow and we will never build additional enthusiasm for the SCCA as long as we accept our existing venue as the best we can do.

There is a lot of history over the years with our region.  Policies changed as it relates to our prior venues.  I am not aware of any reason where "we" caused a venue to be eliminated.  We have also had good and not so good elected officials and volunteers within our region over these years too.  Right now, I believe we have the best set of officers we have had in many years.  We have a great core group of members that participate every month.  We have a great inventory of volunteers.  These are the best resources a region could ever ask for.  "If" we had a reasonable venue, our region would grow tremendously.  Double?  Certainly.  Triple?  Without a doubt.  Grow tenfold?  Not out of the question.  We need a great venue and we need professional help getting that venue.

Nancy, last year I personally sponsored one of our members, Jamey Cicalese - now our RE, to attend the National Convention.  He is a great guy and a very willing volunteer.  He came back with a wealth of information and many great contacts within National.  He told me about the site acquisition committee.  A very interesting statistic he brought back was that our region has one of the lowest market penetration statistics in the country.  At first, we were all very upset to hear we had been called out for low membership numbers.  Then it was explained that we didn't have a club racing venue in our region and that was the reason, according to National, to not get upset about the numbers.  Whether we get upset or not is irrelevant but I want you and anyone else that will listen to know that we can easily be 3, 4, 5, or maybe even 10 times bigger than we are now with a satisfactory venue.  To me, if National has identified the Middle Georgia Region as low penetration market, then they should also feel that it has one of the biggest opportunities for improvement. 

I think it's great that National will share information about site acquisitions but that is simply not enough.  We need professional help.  I have but one question, would National under any circumstance embrace our region as a test case?  What I mean is, would National roll up their sleeves and prove to me, the Middle Georgia Region, and all the other regions that have lost total faith in National, that they will prove a better venue can be achieved?  We have done all we can do.  Can National do any better for us?

I thank you for being an involved member and I hope you can either respond to this message or forward it to someone who has the same passion for the SCCA that I do.  I look forward to your comments.

Thank you,

paul gipson View Drop Down
Senior
Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul gipson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 10:42am
It was dumped without being opened. Unsolicited e-mails with attachments from people I don't know are deleted. Word docs and such often contain nasty little bugs that play havoc with my system.

Pat Kelly View Drop Down
Senior
Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 11:05am
It is pretty easy to copy and paste the text of a letter
onto the message, and have no attachments.
Saves time too.
--Pat Kelly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.11.2007 at 1:03pm

Hi Paul,

You're correct, and thanks for the heads-up. The mass email didn't come with any identifying features, and was easily mistaken for spam or worse. We thought the letter would be on SCCA letterhead and the email title would be more self explanatory. It appears you learned of our message anyway, and that's a good thing. We now know that any further mass communication should have more obvious identification and be without attachments.

Originally posted by paul gipson paul gipson wrote:

It was dumped without being opened. Unsolicited e-mails with attachments from people I don't know are deleted. Word docs and such often contain nasty little bugs that play havoc with my system.

fastford16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastford16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.16.2007 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by GESchweikle GESchweikle wrote:

I'm a member of Autocrossers, Inc. A.I. is no longer a chapter club of Susquehanna Region, we're now WDCR.

the answer to most of you other questions is likely no. as i said, i'm nobody important. 

Pat Kelly View Drop Down
Senior
Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.16.2007 at 11:12pm
Is there an association of stadiums with parking lots
throughout the country? I did a small google and
found a Parking Lot group but they probably thought
my query was too odd to respond, so nada.
A few years ago I did another search and received a
response from another group. Unfortunately, my
computer had a major crash and I lost that contact.
The response thought it was interesting and would
follow later, which never happened.
If someone has the time, such an approach might
be worth while, coming in from the top where parking
lot policies might be established.
Dreaming, maybe.
--Pat Kely
San Francisco Region
PS right now we have three large sites available with
decent asphalt ranging in price from $1000 to $2000
a day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.17.2007 at 3:10pm

Hi Carrie,

You cared enough about Cal Ripken Stadium to respond, so please consider passing my question on to someone from each region that uses the stadium, and ask that they contact us with names of who the site committee should be dealing with.

We want to work with any SCCA region having solo site acquisition or retention issues, but the information flow for this must be in both directions.

Thanks again for writing,

I'm a member of Autocrossers, Inc. A.I. is no longer a chapter club of Susquehanna Region, we're now WDCR.

the answer to most of you other questions is likely no. as i said, i'm nobody important. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.17.2007 at 3:37pm

Hi Pat,

A great suggestion!. As of last September, "PSS" or Professional Sports Stadium represented the biggest single site type in the solo sanction request database. There were 158 events conducted at 30 different stadiums, so it makes sense to seek out whatever kind of industry or trade association might be a common denominator for these sites.

Also, you probably already know this, but the solo sanction database is available to members working to find or approve new sites. The old "Airport, Racetrack, Parking lot" site designations were replaced with  17 different site types so the excel database can now be sorted for events, site types, and regions. It's a great tool for people willing to do a little work.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Pat Kelly Pat Kelly wrote:

Is there an association of stadiums with parking lots
throughout the country? I did a small google and found a Parking Lot group but they probably thought my query was too odd to respond, so nada. A few years ago I did another search and received a
response from another group. Unfortunately, my computer had a major crash and I lost that contact. The response thought it was interesting and would follow later, which never happened. If someone has the time, such an approach might be worth while, coming in from the top where parking lot policies might be established.
Dreaming, maybe.
--Pat Kely
San Francisco Region
PS right now we have three large sites available with decent asphalt ranging in price from $1000 to $2000 a day.

Pat Kelly View Drop Down
Senior
Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.17.2007 at 4:00pm
You know the old saying, "location, location,
location."
For example, like I said we have use of three large
sites, Monster (nee Candlestick) Park, McAfee
(Oakland) Coliseum, and Golden Gate Fields, which
is a horse racing venue.
All three are located within sight of the San Francisco
Bay itself (except for McAfee) and are within relatively
easy commute for our drivers.
We also have use of two other sites, both very fine
concrete (old airport ) sites and both about 2 hours
away (or longer).
The three close-in sites draw around 200/300+
entries, the two distant one draw 140 or so, though
that does go higher for special events.
For a region to grow, especially in large metropolitan
areas, use of stadium close-in sites is very
important, and cracking in to negotiate with the most
friendy person who has permission to say 'yes' is a
key.
Thus a list of such stadiums and their 'yes' folks is
very important. We got into McAfee (our favorite)
when a member who is a top drawer insurance
salesman found the yes man, and since then we've
been riding on his coattails. :) Our largest event there
was about 2 years ago, with 430 or so entries...yes
we got them all through, all three runs! :)
--Pat Kelly
Cole View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.19.2007 at 5:24am

Stadiums may work fine for big cities but smaller regions usually lack that option. Here, we read that Middle Georgia lost a local stadium and is using a small racetrack infield parking lot. Our neighbors Alabama, Gulf Coast, and Dixie regions also use racetrack sites. Alabama's site is good-sized for horse racing, as is Dixie's site as a drag strip/small circle track.

However, Dixie is even having difficulties with the racetrack site which is a problem since that site hosted 2007's and this upcoming year's first National Tour events

Military sites are becoming more scarce due to 9/11 access rules. Gulf Coast lost its isolated site to military training. The only reason we have kept ours is that it is well away from the main base. We have even heard that our site was in danger which led our region to make a $2000 donation to the base Morale, Welfare, Recreation fund two days ago to both thank them and hopefully ensure continued site use.

The biggest problem I see is the collision between increasing site rental fees, and increased fees for members who pay more due to higher insurance and temporary membership. Phil Creighton, our new SE Division Area 12 Director kindly sent out information on early board meetings. I guess Solo insurance is going to RISE AGAIN substantially due to Solo accidents this past year. Can our sport survive $50 newbie entry fees to cover insurance, lot fees, and temporary membership????

Sounds like big region's paying big lot fees will have a hard time attracting newbies. 

Edited by Cole
Cole
I Stock (as in indexed pure stock) lobbyist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.19.2007 at 7:22am

Cole,

Thanks for responding. Sharing site acquisition / retention information is a first step in helping other regions.

What service branch "owns" your military site?. The Morale, Welfare and Recreation office sounds like it should be common to every military base. I will add this as one of the hints for regions wanting to approach military installations for the first time and don't know who to contact.

Originally posted by Cole Cole wrote:

Stadiums may work fine for big cities but smaller regions usually lack that option. Here, we read that Middle Georgia lost a local stadium and is using a small racetrack infield parking lot. Our neighbors Alabama, Gulf Coast, and Dixie regions also use racetrack sites. Alabama's site is good-sized for horse racing, as is Dixie's site as a drag strip/small circle track.

However, Dixie is even having difficulties with the racetrack site which is a problem since that site hosted 2007's and this upcoming year's first National Tour events

Military sites are becoming more scarce due to 9/11 access rules. Gulf Coast lost its isolated site to military training. The only reason we have kept ours is that it is well away from the main base. We have even heard that our site was in danger which led our region to make a $2000 donation to the base Morale, Welfare, Recreation fund two days ago to both thank them and hopefully ensure continued site use.

The biggest problem I see is the collision between increasing site rental fees, and increased fees for members who pay more due to higher insurance and temporary membership. Phil Creighton, our new SE Division Area 12 Director kindly sent out information on early board meetings. I guess Solo insurance is going to RISE AGAIN substantially due to Solo accidents this past year. Can our sport survive $50 newbie entry fees to cover insurance, lot fees, and temporary membership????

Sounds like big region's paying big lot fees will have a hard time attracting newbies. 

Mikeatscca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeatscca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.19.2007 at 9:02am

George and Cole,

The good folks in Corpus Christie, Texas, South Texas Border Region, got back on the Cabanisis Navy airfield site this year after a more than a year of talking, negotiating, and such. They have a VERY friendly base commander (that often can be your key, and not the local base's Moral and Welfare entity, though it is a good place to start) as base commander's are watched from above. So if your base commander can sell the "usage" as a benefit for his/her soldiers/sailors, that may go a long way.

It might be good to talk to the good folks in South Texas Border to learn what steps they took to get access again.

Mike

Michael E. Dickerson
Region Development Manager, SCCA
800.770.2055, ext 358
Mdickerson@scca.com
Better to have been a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.
3WheelWonder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3WheelWonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.19.2007 at 9:06am
Hi,

I am a member of Central KY SCCA and the chief registrar for the region. I can tell you first hand how much of a problems we have locally. We have one site (Commonwealth Stadium) that can really handle our full potential for attendance. We can only get that site about twice a season and there have been seasons where we don't get it at all. At our primary site, we have to limit participation to about 90 cars. This puts a real strain on registration and I strongly believe we silently lose members as a result.
Being in a smaller city, there just aren't many sites to be had. I'm sure lots of smaller regions face the same problem. What do you do when just aren't enough places suitable?
That said, CKR (George included) does a great job of building and maintaining relationships with site owners.

Our neighbor to the north (CincySCCA) has a different problem. They are in a large metro area and *should* have lots of possible sites. However, they lost their primary site early this year after an incident. Their season was effectively lost. I'm not sure they'll even recover a solid Solo program for 2008.

Site acquisition/maintenance is a problem that will not go away. Given our litigation happy environment, acquisition will only get more difficult and asphalt is just too expensive to put down to make club ownership of lots practical for most regions.

-Ben
Cole View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.19.2007 at 11:56am

Cole,

Thanks for responding. Sharing site acquisition / retention information is a first step in helping other regions.

What service branch "owns" your military site?. The Morale, Welfare and Recreation office sounds like it should be common to every military base. I will add this as one of the hints for regions wanting to approach military installations for the first time and don't know who to contact.

We are an Army base and the MWR is actually our point of contact for all club coordination, quarterly reports, and the use renewal process as a private organization using its facilities. A model airplane club also uses the same site at different times of the month. We have it reserved every second Sunday which makes the coordination easy.

Best thing is it costs us nothing. So making a donation is an alternate form of paying rent. Gulf Coast used to do something similar having each driver stop by a military campground entrance next to their site to pay $1 that MWR could keep as "rent."

The downside of a military site is we cannot use it for a Pro Solo due to that being a money-making venture for some. We cannot use it for a National Tour despite its ideal size/location because Army aircraft fly there Friday and often on Saturday. I'm sure others approaching a military base would face similar dual-use conflicts.

Cole
I Stock (as in indexed pure stock) lobbyist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic