SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Solo->Solo Site Acquisition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SO I get this email...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December.19.2007 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Mikeatscca Mikeatscca wrote:

George and Cole,

The good folks in Corpus Christie, Texas, South Texas Border Region, got back on the Cabanisis Navy airfield site this year after a more than a year of talking, negotiating, and such. They have a VERY friendly base commander (that often can be your key, and not the local base's Moral and Welfare entity, though it is a good place to start) as base commander's are watched from above. So if your base commander can sell the "usage" as a benefit for his/her soldiers/sailors, that may go a long way.

It might be good to talk to the good folks in South Texas Border to learn what steps they took to get access again.

Mike

Walt tried to get the Navy to provide an alternate site for Gulf Coast to no avail. Eglin Air Force base has sites but no Air Force folks have ever been successful in getting sites there. The racetrack site Gulf Coast use now for Solo is less than optimum, but if they build the huge NASCAR track some claim to be building north of Mobile, they may have access to a good facility.

As for base commander, I made a point of having my picture taken giving an enlarged "check" to the head MWR guy and gave them caption information to accompany the picture that will hopefully be in tomorrow's post paper. Made the point that Servicemembers, government employees, and other drivers from 3 states and 6 military bases use our site, and that we have used the site for over 30 years!

I thought $2 grand might not phase them (we also gave them $500 earlier in year during renewal) but they said they only get $50,000 from donations and fund-raising activities throughout the year to supplement whatever the Army gives them. MWR coordinates post activities like the golf course, stables, bowling alley, wood and car craft shops, officer/NCO clubs, day care centers, etc. for the post.

Edited by Cole
Cole
I Stock (as in indexed pure stock) lobbyist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic