SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Solo->Solo Site Acquisition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Having trouble getting a particular site

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcmustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having trouble getting a particular site
    Posted: May.15.2007 at 9:50am
We've been trying since 2000 to gain access to our State Police training grounds.  In 2000, we helped the local Porsche club gain access to the site for their Porsche Parade autocross, but since then, the old State Police director, and now the new director, have denied us access to the site for our local SCCA autocrosses.  The director says we're not a good "fit" to the State Police's charter.  Of course, I guess the Porsche club's national event was, but our local events aren't.  Can anyone give us any advice on how to approach this?  The State Police director's boss is the governer of the state.  Should we be talking to the governor?  Help, please.
Sponsored Links

jcicalese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcicalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May.15.2007 at 10:32am
personally to me that makes absolutely no sense that they would offer it to one club but not another. Especially since our safety guidelines are a lot stronger than PCA

I forwarded this message on to the rest of the SSAC members

Personally i think the governor would be a good start, especially if it is an election year, remember, there is strength in numbers

I am interested in knowing why he doesn't think we would be a good match, have u taken one of our folders to them with your presentation?
Jamey Cicalese | Middle Georgia Region | SSAC Member
GESchweikle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GESchweikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May.15.2007 at 11:18am

Hi mcmustang,

Please note that one of our new Solo Site Committee Members picked up on your question. We're trying to help as much as we can with site issues. Can you provide an email address?. I can send a formal site request format that might be usefull. Also, have you found the State Police website?. In some cases, the organization will have a "Mission Statement" that can be interpreted to offer an opportunity.

Meanwhile, please contact the SCCA office for the 2006 and 2007 solo sanction database. This will list all solo sites by type, and maybe a Police training site is already in use.

Finally, let's not shoot from the hip toward your site target but design a complete site request. What Region are you in?

George Schweikle

Chairman, Solo Site Acquisition Committee

Originally posted by mcmustang mcmustang wrote:

We've been trying since 2000 to gain access to our State Police training grounds.  In 2000, we helped the local Porsche club gain access to the site for their Porsche Parade autocross, but since then, the old State Police director, and now the new director, have denied us access to the site for our local SCCA autocrosses.  The director says we're not a good "fit" to the State Police's charter.  Of course, I guess the Porsche club's national event was, but our local events aren't.  Can anyone give us any advice on how to approach this?  The State Police director's boss is the governer of the state.  Should we be talking to the governor?  Help, please.

Imprez99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imprez99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May.15.2007 at 2:43pm
I know that Ft Devens in Ayer Ma (NER) is a site where the State Police do drivers training on the same surface we (and other clubs) use on the weekend, but they do not own the property, they lease it.

--Keith Casey

marka View Drop Down
Senior
Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May.15.2007 at 3:02pm
Howdy,

How about having the event be a charity event benefitting the local police association?  A one off event like that might be a way to at least get a foot in the door and prove to them that you aren't a PITA to deal with.

If you manage it, make sure to have a class or whatever for cop cars where you've got some experienced folks to give friendly advice (if asked).  Try and get the local police departments involved and get some friendly competition going.

Certainly the Governer being on your side wouldn't hurt, but sometimes I think you're better off getting the rank and file on your side.

Mark
mattm View Drop Down
Senior
Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May.15.2007 at 6:19pm

Here is the ISP statement(s):

http://www.isp.state.id.us/director/ISPStrategicPlan.html

Rank & File is good, but it reads like approval has to come from the top down. Try contacting this guy: Lieutenant Colonel Kevin Johnson (found him here: http://www.isp.state.id.us/director/index.html )

Matt Murray
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic