SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Club Racing->Improved Touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Light Fixture Rules ITA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Fixture Rules ITA
    Posted: March.17.2007 at 2:53pm

I am trying to find the rules on lights in the IT class.  Can someone please tell me what page that info is on in the GCR or if you know the answer please get back to me?  I want to take my front and rear light fixtures out.  I have a break light on my roof I have Honda Del Sol.

Also are rear wings allowed in ITA I see in the rules is says they are prohibited but I thought I saw a few guys with rear wings last year.

Matt Dawson
Sponsored Links

jsirota1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsirota1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.18.2007 at 1:25am
Matt, you cannot remove those light assemblies in IT.  The rule book is structured such that "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't", and it doesn't say you can.

If it said you could, it would probably be in section 9.1.3.D.8, which starts on page GCR-302.  If wings were allowed (they aren't), those rules would be in the same section.

Chances are the cars you saw were not in one of the GCR-specified IT classes.  Perhaps were in a region-specific class.

Matt Dawson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.18.2007 at 7:17pm

Jsirota1 thanks for the response.  I was doing some ice racing with my car this year and took the assemblies out because I didn't want any glass all over or broken fixtures.  I feel the same way about this with IT.  It does not seem like a good idea to have 4 X $150 light assemblies in the most vulnerable of positions, in a car that does not need them for any reason that I know of.

I hope someone with some IT car building experience will chime in here.

Matt

jsirota1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsirota1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.18.2007 at 7:25pm
Well, I have IT-building experience.

According to the rules, you have to tape your light assemblies to keep broken pieces in place (9.1.3.D.10.d, page GCR-306), but you cannot remove them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.18.2007 at 11:21pm

Ok bummer, I will have to put them back in.

What region do you race with?

Thanks,

Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.18.2007 at 11:28pm

I guess it is ok to remove any lights on or below the bumper. I don't think that helps me mine are above my bumper.

Matt

Edited by Matt Dawson
jsirota1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsirota1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.18.2007 at 11:38pm
"Exposed headlights, parking lights, and side marker lights shall be taped. OEM light assemblies mounted on or below (but not in) the bumper shall be removed."

Read it again.

jsirota1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsirota1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.19.2007 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Matt Dawson Matt Dawson wrote:

Ok bummer, I will have to put them back in.

What region do you race with?

Thanks,

Matt

I'm in the San Francisco Region.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Dawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.19.2007 at 8:31am

I am in the North East.  I wonder why so few people are on these message boards I would think these would be some of the most popular boards on the net.

Matt

jsirota1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsirota1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.19.2007 at 9:37am
The IT folks all hang out on the forums at improvedtouring.com.

Andy Bettencour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Bettencour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April.01.2007 at 9:25pm

Matt,

I am also in the Northeast.  Drop me a line anytime.

AB

Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports
www.flatout-motorsports.com
jamaicabraden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicabraden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.11.2011 at 9:52am
i agree, you can't remove the light assemblies. if i were you im gonna take that to professional mechanic.

leeyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.21.2011 at 9:04pm
The rule book is structured such that "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't", and it doesn't say you can...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic