SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Solo->Solo Site Acquisition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping Sites

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
National Staff
National Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasha Marlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping Sites
    Posted: June.15.2006 at 1:44pm

Site Acquisition Isnít Even Half The Battle!

The biggest issue facing all SCCA regions that participate in Solo is perceived to be the acquisition of new sites.   Nationally, we have a site acquisition committee is a year old and has made huge steps towards helping regions acquire new sites.  However, the big question that comes up is, ďWhy do we need new sites?Ē  In many cases the answer is that we, as regions and competitors, didnít take care of the sites that we already use. 

I believe that the biggest issue facing us right now is not taking care of what we have as organizers, as competitors and as workers.  In the last sixty days, it has come to my attention that regions are in jeopardy of losing sites because competitors are hot-rodding up and down the streets around the sites; we have competitors leaving a mess in their paddock space; weíve had competitors dump their gray water from their motor home; dumping oil and soda cans in porta-johns and in general, not taking care of the sites.  As competitors and responsible adults we cannot allow these things to happen.  If you have a site that MUST have someone at the gate at all times for both safety and security, you cannot allow those rules to be broken.  A good example is Grissom.  We would be in jeopardy of losing that site if we didnít properly man the entrance gate.  We could lose our vendors with the porta-johns at all sites if we donít use them properly.  Oil, soda cans and garbage do not belong in a porta-john.  We all have sites that are close to residential areas.  As noise becomes a greater issue, hot-rodding up and down the streets around the site will not help us keep those sites.  Most of the rules that Iím referring to are first of all, common sense.  But secondly, they are conditions placed on us by the site owner to be able to use their facility.  Through the new waiver program and the safety steward program, SCCA helps us run safe events.  But it is up to all of us, as competitors, to make sure that we do our part to help us keep our sites.  Once incident could cause a region to lose its site and possibly its ability to hold Solo events in the future.  We cannot allow this to happen!

The next time that you go to an event, take it upon yourself to say, ďIím going to do everything in my power to help this club keep its site.  Iíll drive courteously around the site, make my paddock area cleaner than it was when I got there, and make sure that I follow all of the rules that a particular site has.Ē  Site acquisition and the caring of our existing sites is everyoneís job!  Letís all look for new sites but make sure that we donít lose the existing sites for the wrong reasons.

Raleigh Boreen

Site Acquisition Committee

Tasha Marlow
SCCA Director Solo
P.O. Box 19400
Topeka, KS 66619
800-770-2055
tmarlow@scca.com
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic