SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->Regional Leadership/Business->Newsletter Editors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Judging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buccaneer Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judging
    Posted: June.14.2006 at 2:46pm
Just a quick question...with the new judging rules and procedures, do any of y'all feel like your position as Newsletter Editor is about to be no longer needed?  That websites will be the only source of news and info?

I'm trying to figure out if I feel this way because of the new judging parameters, or if it's a vibe I am picking up from my region.

Just curious!

Edited by Buccaneer Times
Paula Frazier
Buccaneer Region #34
Secretary
Editor, The Buccaneer Times
Membership Chairman
(904)779-2027 Phone/Fax
Sponsored Links

Mikeatscca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeatscca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.14.2006 at 3:05pm

Paula,

The new criteria is most definitely NOT intended to eliminate or reduce the importance or the need of the newsletter editor.

The new criteria is designed to marry the efforts of the webmaster and editor in a comprehensive and effective Region communications program. With so many newsletters being published as part of a website, the lines are very blurred, yet the efforts and creativity are unique to each medium. The efforts and time to produce newsletters and websites are still recognized, and as long as I have a say in the program both individuals will always have the recognition.

Mike

Michael E. Dickerson
Region Development Manager, SCCA
800.770.2055, ext 358
Mdickerson@scca.com
Better to have been a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.
Buccaneer Times View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buccaneer Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.14.2006 at 3:16pm
Thank you very much, Mike.  I know you have a very difficult job, and you do it very well.

I think what I'm most afraid of is that Regions (not just mine) may see this as an opportunity to rid themselves of an expense that some in the region don't feel is necessary (the paper newsletter).  I see it as a dying art, and just don't want to let go.

The more I think about this, the more I think that my feelings are not because of the judging change, but of what others reactions to the change may be.

Thanks for listening!!

Paula
Paula Frazier
Buccaneer Region #34
Secretary
Membership Chairman
(904)779-2027 Phone/Fax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeatscca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.14.2006 at 3:41pm

Thanks Paula for your support, but my job is to support the Region leadership in any way possible, and I simply try to do better at it every day. Sometimes I don't succeed. You guys keep me on the path, and I appreciate the candor when I start to stray!

I do believe that the printed newsletter is becoming endangered, and every reason I have heard relates to economics and the bang for the buck. My own Region went down that path but many (as did mine) realize that the printed copy is still very valuable in so many ways. So I don't see newletters as a hard copy item going away very soon, I just think it is morphing into a different form that is electronically available and printed locally on your desk.

I do see the actual publication and mailing of a hard copy newsletter something that will strain a Region's budget, especially as postage and petroleum costs continue to rise.

Mike

Michael E. Dickerson
800.770.2055, ext 358
Mdickerson@scca.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buccaneer Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.14.2006 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Mikeatscca Mikeatscca wrote:

I do see the actual publication and mailing of a hard copy newsletter something that will strain a Region's budget, especially as postage and petroleum costs continue to rise.

Good point, good point.

Thanks, Mike, for keeping me grounded.

P.S.  Did I hear right that Barb left?
Paula Frazier
Buccaneer Region #34
Secretary
Membership Chairman
(904)779-2027 Phone/Fax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeatscca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.14.2006 at 4:17pm
Yes, thta is correct.
Michael E. Dickerson
800.770.2055, ext 358
Mdickerson@scca.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buccaneer Times Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.15.2006 at 8:15am
Sorry to hear that.  I really enjoy doing "business" with her...and you too, Mike.  I just can't put into words how much I appreciate everything you two have done for me and for SCCA.
Paula Frazier
Buccaneer Region #34
Secretary
Membership Chairman
(904)779-2027 Phone/Fax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeatscca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.15.2006 at 8:57am

Barb is doing fine. Budget cuts and restructuring here forced the unfortunate circumstance. We we all sorry to see this happen. She assured me they will stay in Topeka, her husband is very involved with Street Rods and enjoys the local scene here. They have a lovely new home and are enjoying the simpler life style and attractive cost of living in Topeka from that in Chicago.

Paula, send me a private note and I will give you contact information. I am sure she would love to hear from you.

Michael E. Dickerson
800.770.2055, ext 358
Mdickerson@scca.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic