SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Club Racing->STU/STO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Honda engine swap in STU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Honda engine swap in STU
    Posted: May.07.2013 at 5:20pm
Hello all,

I am researching the possibility of building a 4th generation (1992-1996) Honda Prelude for STU.

The ideal engine options are either a K-series motor from a US-market Acura (K20 from a RSX or a K24 from a TSX), or the H22 motor that Honda put into the preludes.

When it comes time to source the engine, I am concerned about the correct interpretation of the rules.

"Engines from vehicles not available in a car delivered in North America will be considered and approved on a case-by-case basis for use in ST. For an engine to be considered, a member must submit a classification"

The Honda prelude was delivered in both the US and Japan as the same model.  The VTEC model prelude in the US had the H22A1 (and latter the H22A4).

In Japan, the same car was delivered with slightly higher compression.  The "JDM" engine is the H22A.  The compression is still below the limit, but that is not the concern.

the JDM engines are easier to source then the USDM engines, and so there is a possibility I would end up building an H22A instead of an H22A1.  The question is, do I need to submit this for consideration?  One possible interpretation is that I don't, as the Prelude VTEC model was sold in both markets.  However, the engine has a different code, so I would not want to get myself in trouble.

Any input?

Sponsored Links

dkmura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkmura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June.01.2013 at 2:42pm
Yes- apply to the comp board to make sure the H22A is approved as an option for the class. Don't assume anything...
ELO168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELO168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March.17.2014 at 3:39pm
Well for the STL the JDM B16A got approved, but need to add 2% to the wieght.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic