FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Common scca.com regional web sites?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JimR View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February.01.2012 at 9:57am

I don't know what our region's annual bill for domain registration and web hosting is, but it seems like we could get more for the money by pooling resources and consolidating talent in one turn-key thing.

If the SCCA can't do it, there has to be some enterprising gearhead out there to build a modestly-priced service for keeping a whole bunch of regions' websites modern and attractive.

Edited by JimR
rjohnson999 View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjohnson999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February.01.2012 at 9:26am
I don't know.  Going from one stone-aged forum software to another hardly seems worth it.
NOT Roger Johnson. Not any of them.
JimR View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February.01.2012 at 9:03am

So my region runs its web site with a clumsy, limited, and difficult-to-administer web content manager and underutilized, stone-aged forum software. The person who knows most of the configuration and the person who registered the domain name are both long gone.

Has the National office considered offering a common web presence that regions could use and have common training? My limited web skills are 15 years obsolete, and most of the region's steady volunteers aren't any better.

Instead of a million www.whateverregionscca.coms of varying quality, maybe members and potential entrants could go to a simpler scca.com/whateverregion?

Maybe each region could have a slick, common design with some easy ways to personalize the imagery or colors for the region in question. If a big region with a slick web site so chooses, they could just redirect to their site. For the small regions, we could have something that looks contemporary. It doesn't seem like the server overhead would be extremely high if most of the content is just varying text and a few pictures.

Then someone who is at the National office could browse every region occasionally. "Hey, I noticed your schedule is still from last year. Do you have what you need to update it?" Newbies directed to scca.com could click on their slice of the USA map and be taken right to the most relevant information that captures today's micro-attention space.

If the SCCA partners with brake pad and automobile manufacturers, couldn't it partner with some Internet gurus to make it happen?

Just thinking out loud.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic