SCCA.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home->SCCA Club Racing->Production
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Latest Fast Track G Prepaired

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfire74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest Fast Track G Prepaired
    Posted: January.24.2012 at 10:33am

I noticed in Fast Track that a series of numbers seem to refer to letters from competors. Where can I find them, I would like to read them.

In the latest F.T. is a proposal for G Prepaired cars to go from 13x6 to 16x10 wheels a cost of over $1,600.00.

The full prep cars are mostly British and a wheel of that size would require the uprights and spindles to be beefed up. The real problem is not more wheel size but weight. the Honda has a 1488cc motor with a weight of 1490 lbs. or 1.00 LBS/CC while the spitfire has a 50 year old 1148cc motor with a weight of 1405 lbs or 1.22 LBS/CC. This in itself is and disadvantage that is hard to overcome, but when you add to that the Honda has a track of 58.8/59.1 and the Spitfire's track is 53/52 and the Sprite/Midget  is even slightly smaller. No chance to be equal.

The limited Prep cars are said to be handycapped due to the lack of headwork they can do, the Honda factory makes a very efficent alum. head from the start. No need to do a lot of work.

As an aside the wheel listing for the Midget & Spitfire is 14 x 6 as far as I can find these cars never ran a 14" wheel the factory listed 13" and Hoosier only makes a 10",13",15" & 16" Slick.

It seems to me that a 13" cantilever tire with a tread of 9.5" will do almost the same as a 16" tire with 9.7" at least not enought to justfy over a $1,600.00 investment. When the least expensive way is to add weight to the offending cars. Buy using the same Lbs/CC that the British cars are running the Midgets & Spitfires would be more evenly matched.

Triumph Spitfire
Sponsored Links

ur2loud View Drop Down
Crazy Poster
Crazy Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ur2loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January.24.2012 at 8:43pm

Repost in the solo section and you should get some answers.

Production is a race car class and prepared is a solo/autox class.

Wayne Hill

Nat'l Sound Control, Sr. F&C, ex Emer.Svc.

SCCA member 66-83,93-14

Redfire74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfire74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January.25.2012 at 12:16pm

It just shows you what happens when you've raced the same car for 35 years, then switch. Whats in a name

Triumph Spitfire
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic